- Some of the complications that may develop after Mentoplasty include bruises, movement of the implant, collection of fluid under the skin and swelling.
- Swelling remains for about three to four months after the surgery, so the results of the surgery can be seen only after the resolving of swelling.
- Patients are usually advised by the doctor to make a few changes in their lifestyle, well before the surgery. This includes quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption and consumption of blood thinning medicines. Also, patients should avoid wearing face creams a day before surgery.
- This surgery is not recommended for patients who have poor health, cardiac problems or are taking anticoagulants.
- After the surgery, a patient might feel numbness and soreness in the chin. This can be relieved by medicine prescribed by the doctor. Also, the patient is asked to stick to a liquid and soft diet for at least 1-2 weeks after surgery.
Saturday, June 25, 2016
Mentoplasty/Chin Augmentation Overseas
What is Chin Augmentation or Mentoplasty?
Chin Augmentation or Mentoplasty is a type of plastic surgery, performed to reshape or increase the size of the chin, so that the appearance of the face is balanced. Implantation is performed to add volume to the chin, whereas bone reshaping is done to reduce the size of the chin. It can be used to correct Microgenia, if the person has a normal bite.
It is usually performed with rhinoplasty (nose job) and facial liposuction, to achieve the desired facial proportion.
Typically performed as an outpatient surgery, Chin Augmentation takes a few hours to be performed. The bandages and stitches are usually removed within a week.
How Inexpensive Is Mentoplasty Overseas?
The cost for Mentoplasty is a combination of the surgeon’s fee and other expenses incurred during surgery. The surgeon’s fee depends upon his experience, procedure used for Mentoplasty and the place where clinic or hospital is situated. According to the American Society Of Plastic Surgeons, the average fee for Mentoplasty is 2,065 USD.
The other expenses include anesthesia, medical tests, and medical room expenses, among others. Also, it is important to know that most medical insurances do not cover Mentoplasty and the complications related to it.
How Is Mentoplasty Performed?
First, the doctor performs an X-Ray of the chin to determine the part of the chin to be operated upon. An anesthesia, general or local, is given to the patient. Then, an incision, either below the chin or inside the mouth is made.
Now, if volume is to be added to the chin, implantation is carried out. This includes affixing the implant, usually made of Silicon, to the chin bone with stitches or screws. If the size of the chin is to be reduced, then a cut is made through the jaw bone and the chin is accordingly adjusted and screwed in the right place.
Then surgical stitches are used to close the incision. Since incisions are usually made under the chin or inside the mouth, scars are barely visible.
Important Things To Know About Mentoplasty
When can i get back to work and other activities after Mentoplasty?
Usually, people are able to get back to work after 1-2 weeks of the surgery. Patients can return to their usual physical activities such as swimming, gymnastics and other activities like sunbathing, one month after surgery.
Does Mentoplasty leave scar?
In Mentoplasty, the incisions are usually made either under the chin or inside the mouth. These incisions heal fast and are not noticeable.
What are the general post-operative instructions?
A patient should not use moisturizers before the stitches are taken out and should only wash face with a neutral soap. Warm or hot hair dryer should be completely avoided and so should be exposure to sun.
Is Mentoplasty painful?
Mentoplasty is performed under local or general anesthesia. After surgery, there might be some numbness and soreness in the chin for which mild painkillers are prescribed by the doctor.
Does medical insurance cover Mentoplasty?
No, the medical insurance does not cover Mentoplasty and complications related to it, as it is an elective, cosmetic surgery.